Saturday, July 7, 2012

Pitstop #1

Boy am I ever glad to get out of a car! That was a long drive- took me exactly 5 hours. I arrived in Farmville, VA at 5 pm exactly, practically jumped out of my car, and then jumped back in because it is 110 degrees here!! Inside the house felt even hotter, though the thermostat only read 100. Turned on the A/C, went for a walk down to the lake, contemplated dipping my toes in but gave it a second thought after seeing the gray/green algae clouding the banks, and returned to the house as the bugs swarmed around me, lusting for my tasty blood. It was a rather short joint outside, though I did have a moment of panic when I thought I had lost the knife that Jared lent me for the trip... thankfully I found it sitting on the counter where I had placed it to ensure that I didn't lose it... I think the heat is getting to me!

Overall the drive here was really not that bad- my grandmother lent me some books on tape, which I had never before listened to but found out that I quite enjoyed. There were only three notable incidents on the drive...

 #1- as I was about an hour in on 495, I saw a huge cloud of gray smoke billow up into the sky from not too far in the distance. My first thought was a car engine fire... instead, as I approach the scene, I find a  beatup pickup truck pulling a trailer pulled over, a mexican running frantically down the side of the road, part of the road/underbrush on the side on fire which was spreading rapidly, and strangest of all, the truck bed had flames leaping hungrily out of it! My thoughts immediately jumped to wildfires (a product of growing up in Colorado). I sure hope that they got this one under control, for it has been quite dry here and who knows what the heat can create, even in this humidity. My second thought was to get the hell away before the truck went BOOM as they do in the movies... whether or not that actually happens I'm not sure, but I didn't want to stay and find out! The only explanation I could think of was that they must have been carrying mulch or dry timber and someone flicked a cigarette butt. But who knows?

#2- This huge purple semi that was driving behind me on I-95, going about 70 mph, that randomly slammed on his brakes and slid into a gravel/dirt patch on the side of the road. Dust flew everywhere, and the guy behind him almost hit him... maybe a tire blowout?? I didn't know that semis could even stop that fast!

#3- I did get lost at one point... Of course. Just took the wrong way (the gps sucks sometimes), which I think is part of what put me on a toll road for some time (ugh).

But all in all, definitely could have been a LOT worse. Now I only have a 2.5 hour drive tomorrow and I will be in North Carolina! If I am lucky while I am down there I may even get to see my cousin's new baby they are adopting- so excited for that.

Right now? I think I am going to grab a rod and go fishing for some bass (after I douse myself in some Off), and then maybe a nice cool soak in the garden tub. Wish I could post some pictures from the lakehouse- it is gorgeous here! But will have to wait till I have cell service.

Tee Tee for Ta, Ta Ta for now!

Rich With Life

1 comment:

  1. Glad you made it safely. Adventure is fun...

    ReplyDelete