Wednesday, July 25, 2012

No Crabbing Today!

Well the horses are finally back with me- Jared trailered them all the way from Hampstead to home without a single incident, and they are out stuffing their faces with grass (or at least trying to- Sweets has been condemned to a grazing muzzle). Dinner with my grandfather went well last night- steaks from a local butcher shop done over charcoal, squash and zucchini from the garden, my first attempt at home-made bread (which turned out really well!) and a home-made cherry pie to top it off. I sure am spoiled that Jared is not only supportive and amazing, but also can cook like a champion, and drive a truck and trailer. :)

We were supposed to go crabbing this morning, but my grandfather got a call from one of his buddies who was out on the West River yesterday, and by 9 o'clock he only had 1/2 of a bushel and 30 peelers. Since that is a terrible catch that barely covers expenses, we decided to wait another week or so, though he promised me he would make sure we get out on the water before I head back to school in mid-August. I love going out crabbing on the bay; some of my favorite memories are of being out on the water as the sun rises, dipping crabs off of a trot line.

My day now freed up and, starting to get restless once again, I gave Doc a call and was supposed to head out with him at noon... and then I got a call that the farrier needed to reschedule for today. Of course the only appointment Doc had today happened to be at the only time the farrier could come. So I'm back to being restless. : ( Hopefully out with Doc tomorrow, though as of this morning he had no calls scheduled.

No comments:

Post a Comment