Thursday, July 12, 2012

Day 4 (!) Compound Cleanup Day!

Today is Thursday, a fact I was quite surprised about this morning! My days are so short and my itch-filled nights so long that time is flying by. Today I started off my day with learning how to do waters for the animals. More or less this consists of opening a metal door, pulling out a water dish, closing the door, scrubbing the water dish, replacing it and filling it with water carried around in 5 gallon buckets. The entire time you are opening a paw-sized hole into the enclosure, and so you have to wait around till the animals decide that you don't have food and therefore aren't interesting and walk away, before you can begin. The spickets luckily are set all around the compound within easy access to each group of enclosures, and this makes things a good bit less painful than they could be. I was set out with Josh, a summer-long intern from Rutgers university, who drove down from NJ to come here. He is education/pre-vet/Biology something or another- he wants to either run a zoo or a school- when he told me I wasn't sure which he said and I can't quite discount either possibility down here!

 (On a side note, the interns are a different program than the one I am in. They are half-summer programs and there are 6 of them. They have "class" once a week where they learn about the life of an animal keeper- whether this is vet "class," animal feeding/nutrition "class," animal cleanliness "class," etc. They also have a specific section of the compound assigned to them, and every day they check and record on those animals on their "rounds" as they are called. They also write 2-page papers weekly on various species-specific subjects, and have to come up with a novel enrichment to try out on their section each week. Overall it is a really cool program- if I had the time and ability I would definitely do it!)

Shadow (one of the black leopards), next to her water dish.
Anyway, whilst we were out doing waters, we had reached the far tiger enclosures and I set off to do the waters for Emerson and another tiger, and Josh went to do Bali-who I think is the biggest, most majestic of the tigers here. I heard some angry roaring and Josh called me back over since Bali was in some mood and wanted nothing to do with him. Well I had got him to come up to me yesterday so I hoped I would have better luck- and I did. He let me approach his water dish and only stood a little protectively over it, his ears back and making some grunting noises, but no growling or roaring. With some baby/tiger talk and friendly chuffing I got him to calm down enough to safely change his water. But boy was that a good reinforcement of how dangerous and unpredictable these guys can be. Bali is in the far back part of the compound because he is considered one of the more "wild" tigers- unlike the ones on the tour route who will come up to the fence and rub. I almost wish they would put these guys on tour though- I feel like that would help the message of CTR to sink in more- that these guys are not pets. I also got to meet the leopards, Smokey and Shadow, for the first time.

After waters, I accompanied Josh on his rounds (since he has my favorite tigers in his section) to see what exactly the interns do, and then I started on the grossest, most smelly tasks of my life. Remember how I said that everything at CTR is donated? Well that includes the freezers and coolers. The cooler crapped out last week, and the freezer has been dying for awhile, so that it is now a cooler. Local restaurants have been kind enough to let CTR store food in their freezers. The animals on the compound mainly eat chicken, unless someone donates a cow, horse or deer, and a large amount of chicken is kept on hand in the cooler/freezer, or was never moved from the freezer once it started to die. That being said, my job today was to sort out the good and bad fruit and veggies, and afterwards with the help of Melanie and two volunteers, to sort out the bad meat from the good meat. After today, I WILL NEVER EAT CHICKEN QUARTERS AGAIN! They turn green, then begin to putrefy. This is accompanied by the fowlest smell I have ever, ever had to experience. It sticks in your nostrils, on your clothes, etc., and when you open up a bag of chicken and the smell explodes at you, it makes all sorts of stomach contents re-emerge. Nasty! It also made lunch really unappetizing.

After lunch I joined in on the Compound Cleanup Day, which happens once every quarter, and is where all of the staff and many volunteers come out and beautify the compound. Today that included taking revenge on the fire ants by pouring boiling water around and on the mounds (luckily not my job) and taking down some old enclosures (my job). With Lenore, Maree, Josh and Jessie, we dug out the concrete at the bottom of some old enclosure panels, then knocked the panels over and sledgehammered the concrete off the bottom so we could re-use them. I learned that I definitely should not try to sledgehammer ever again in my life. I could do all of ten swings and then I was done... After three hours, we had gotten three panels done (much quicker than the previous pace of one every 4 hours) and had a system going.

Finally we all called it quits at three, when the interns had to present their papers, and I got to go out and see if the cougars liked to be sprayed with water (they didn't). However, I did find that the biggest male, Nakobi, really likes to play. My healthy fear of cougars was somewhat reinforced and somewhat lessened at the same time as I played hide and seek with the cougar, and we chased each other up and down the fence line. I am proud to say that he ran out of breath before I did. You would never know it, but cougars can actually purr! After hiding around trees, and he around his den box, leaping out at each other and chasing one another, he laid down next to the fence and began to purr at me, rubbing his face on the wire. It was both endearing and sad- knowing that this guy had been raised by humans and had become so much less than he would have been in the wild, and also that he may even have liked humans, but would never again be touched by one (not that that is a bad thing!). I wrapped up my day with fly spraying a few of the tigers, and even got the biggest male lion, Sebastian, to come out and get sprayed (I missed him yesterday so he really needed it). I did lose my knife today, which I am kind of upset about, as it was a gift from my grandfather and was really, really nice... hoping someone stumbles across it on a tour or just around the compound- I know I lost it along one of the main causeways so that at least is good news.  Anyway, I took a really cute picture of Kizmet, Max and Christian, right before Kizmet got annoyed that I wouldn't feed her anymore meat and sprayed me (sort of like peeing, but more hormones/pheromones than urine). Geoff says it smells like buttered popcorn, but luckily my nose was so shut down after the chicken that I couldn't smell anything.
Kizmet is to the left, and Max and Christian are lying down right next to each other, after some really cute face rubbing and chuffing.
Finally, we got back to the apartment and the washer and dryer had been fixed, so I got my clothes in (thank god), and everything is getting unsmellified.

An update on my poison ivy: My mother overnighted me some Ivy Dry, so I will be very happily using that before I go to sleep tonight. It has spread up my shoulders and onto my chest, as well as onto my stomach. It is also all around my ankles which are swollen and stocky and now look like "cankles." There is also some on my knees and creeping up my legs (which I don't really understand). My face has gotten a little worse, as it has spread across my cheekbone and some appeared on my chin and ears today. Basically, I look like one giant red, bumpy rash. Yay! I also found my first tick today (ew) which embedded itself on my upper thigh. I cut it out to make sure I got the head. Fun times! Hoping to actually sleep tonight.

~Rich With Life~

2 comments:

  1. Your weeks will be gone before you know it! What strikes me is that you have embraced many new and lasting experiences that will help you as you seek to become a vet...I know that I would probably have bowed out at the mice thing :) It is great reading your blog as it gives us insight into your daily life as it is now. Hope the Ivy Dry takes care of that horrible ivy problem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really enjoying reading your blog, I particularly enjoy your insights into the personailities of the cats. Take care of that poison ivy, are you sure you don't need to see a doctor??

    LY, AA

    ReplyDelete