Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Pasture Work

I spent most of yesterday out working to get my fields back in shape- am hoping to bring my horse (and my mom's) back over this evening. I miss having her there to ride and just the simply day-to-day husbandry. So I spent a couple hours weedwhacking and fixing the fences yesterday (no easy task as my weak arms protest the entire time). Jared mowed my grandfather's grass for him while I worked in the fields, and then we all went out to lunch (after I took a shower!).

We then took a load of furniture over to my brother's apartment and stayed to talk to my grandmother for a little while. She was on her A-game yesterday and spent a lot of time talking about pear juice, milk allergies and red-40 allergies, and the amazing (and dead) Dr. Wellover- the best doctor who ever lived according to her. She gets on these rants and no matter how many times you have heard it, she will tell you the entire story start to finish, even if you are the one the story is about! She isn't senile, just very lonely I think. Still, after about an hour it is very difficult to portray rapt attention.

I am farm sitting this week for 6 horses and 2 dogs. I really enjoy the farm and the animals there- it is very "easy" compared to some farms, and as their property backs up to my grandfathers, it is very close as well. The horses: Q-baby, Fiona, Sonata, Dior, Spy and Fortune are all gorgeous lookers. Q-baby came from Germany and is a yearling, and Spy is also a yearling (son to Fiona). Both of them have really good heads on their shoulders. Sonata (Fiona's daughter/Spy's sister) is a bit of a butt sometimes for she has a biting issue and a rather bad attitude, but we always work it out and generally by the end of the week she will have stopped being too bad of a brat. I guess I have been farm sitting for them for over 3 years now, so the horses all know me. Excitingly, the owner of the farm brought up the possibility of maybe having me help out doing some elementary show halter handling of Q-baby, and Dior's owner also mentioned she might have me start exercising Dior (which ought to be interesting since I ride primarily Western and Dior is a dressage/hunter horse). Still, the more riding the better- and if I can get paid to do it I will be ecstatic!

So I am back out to the pastures this morning to finish up prepping for the girls, and then will hopefully be getting them around three this afternoon.  

The chickens gave us three eggs yesterday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment