Friday, July 20, 2012

One Cow Highway

From the safety and security of the yellow office room at Serenity, I greet you.

Today was a bittersweet day that began and ended well (as most days do). Lauren and Ed basically let me do whatever I wanted to today... so I went on that tour finally, and learned about the species-specifics, as well as the back stories of many of the animals. From sideshows at haunted houses, house pets, hotel attractions and picture ops, many of their stories were heartbreaking. They also made me appreciate the rescue and what they do so well even more than I already had. After my tour I cleaned Emerson and Fenimore's pool, then took an early lunch, did some enrichment and (because it was my last day and the keeper's are awesome), we played tiger tug of war. Yes, you did read that correctly.

Lenore started out at CTR many years ago as an intern, and her project during the program was a new enrichment for the big cats. This involved a metal plate with a hole through it, and one really thick, really strong rope. The cats are shifted out of the enclosure, the rope put through the hole and knotted on both sides, the cats are let back in, and we tug enticingly on the rope until they decide to kill it... Then it is just 3 interns/externs/volunteers versus 1 big tiger. Max and Kizmet both took a turn on the rope (and both won), and we all had a blast doing it. I didn't even know that such a thing existed, and Ed hadn't seen it used since he had become a keeper, but Josh had found out about it somehow and brought it up today, and Ed and Lauren gave in to our enthusiasm. I had a really great picture... but of course my phone decided to delete it. I do have one of just the rope (no tigers), but as I don't get cell service here and didn't send it to my email earlier, it won't make an appearance until the morrow.

Albert the Kinkajou



My favorite bobcat, Collins

Saying goodbye to everyone was difficult... the animals as much as the people. I will miss all of the interns- Josh with his sense of humor and leadership, Rachel's bubbly personality, Melanie's never-flinching attitude, Kristin's kindness and dedication, and John's quiet  togetherness. The keepers I will miss as well, and of course my three roommates. I spent my last half hour at the rescue saying my tearful goodbyes to the cats before a storm rolled up and sent us all home.


 And so I got on the road, an extra case of Cheerwine in car, and began the three hour drive to Virginia. I encountered a very bad storm, a lot of very bad drivers, and a random Holstein eating freely on the side of the road (in Virginia of course).


Tomorrow I am headed the six hour drive back home. I am sure my blogs won't be quite so exciting anymore, no tigers or lions or leopards, but I will continue to write about my experiences in life and on the path to veterinary medicine for as long as people want to read them!

-Melissa-

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this experience. That counts as "animal experience" for you, correct, versus veterinary experience? Looking forward to reading more about your experiences (and comparing them to mine!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! The hour I spent with the vet and the ocelot counts as veterinary experience, but everything else falls under exotic animal experience.

      Delete