Sunday, September 23, 2012

Jazz and the Blues

The swing dance was last night! I had a pretty good time at it, and I was able to learn a basic swing dance step after an hour or so of practice.  : P Jared had to work, but I hung out with my marching band girls for most of the night. I dressed up to the nines in my thrift-store bought dress and really enjoyed myself. I missed Jared, even though he always refuses to dance at these things. Still, even a non-dancing Jared is still better than no Jared. The swing-dance features a live "Big Band" jazz band, including pianist and singers, so it's pretty darn cool. There wasn't as good of a turnout this year as normal, but the ballroom was still fairly full.
Definitely not the best picture of me, but the only one taken last night. Teal was apparently the color of choice last night- a whole pile of the MB girls were wearing it without any sort of planning! And then there was Hannah in her gorgeous flowery dress.


Anyway, since I was staying up there, my friends wanted to take me "out" after the dance. By that I mean out to the fraternity houses. I hadn't gone since freshman year, where I only went twice and didn't enjoy myself. It's not exactly my scene- I don't drink, I don't want to dance with gross sweaty people, I get fairly disgusted with some of the dance floor and back corner antics, and both the loudness and crowd overwhelms me fairly quickly.

 But I went out, wearing jeans and a t-shirt and daring them to deny me entrance. Most girls who go out wear the extravagantly short mini skirts and dresses, high heels and whatever they think will get them picked out of a crowd by men. So basically you have a crowd of identical-looking scantily clad people. I'm not saying everyone is like this- many people dress up and go out just because they find it fun to do so. We went to one of the tamer fraternities on campus, one that is known as the music frat, since almost all the brothers are music majors. It's a much nicer environment than many of the others, the guys are generally not jerks, and they actually mark your hand if you are 21 (though of course that doesn't stop anyone from drinking, just keeps the brothers from getting in trouble). Regardless, I only lasted half an hour before the ribald drunkenness, dirty, wet floor, smelly room, screaming and music got to be too much for me.  Maybe you have to be drunk to fully enjoy that sort of thing... I don't really understand it, nor do I wish to. It was definitely better than freshman year, since I knew at least 3/4 of the people in the room from various things, but still. I went home and crashed after a long day on my feet, fairly wishing that I had just stayed home for the evening.

This morning I headed home, intent on getting things done. So me and Jared bathed the dog, picked and hung a ton of our home-grown herbs for the winter months, cleaned out the chicken coop, and headed to the grocery store to pick up taco fixings for dinner. I got some of my homework done, though I have a bit more to do still. We are going to check out a movie tonight, as it is our 2 years, 10 months and since it is actually on a weekend we are going to try to celebrate. We seem to miss all of our anniversaries, even the big ones, so we might as well celebrate when we do remember!

My clean Rem-monster on the newly-painted porch (which she has clearly mudded up already)

Our herbs from the garden- Rosemary, Sage, Thyme, Oregano, Basil and Chives

Two of our roosters- Homer (left) and Red (previously Wanda) enjoying the cherry tomato plant.

A closeup on Homer and Red- I wanted to catch his vibrant coloration but didn't do a great job.

No comments:

Post a Comment