Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Course Selection: Successful!

I picked classes this AM for next year, and I got in everything I was hoping to!

In the fall I will be taking:
Comparative Animal Physiology
Biochemistry I
Anatomy and Physiology I
Native American Studies

In the Spring I will be taking:
Vertebrate zoology
Neurobiology
Anatomy and Physiology II
Roots of the English Language (I have heard this is helpful for medical terms)

I will have three labs both semesters, but one of those three is a combine lecture and lab, so it is essentially 4 hours of lab twice a week with those. I will be in class 23 hours a week! If I have to go to part-time status I will be retaining the biology classes, dropping A &P and my two non-science classes. I will be graduating on-time (rather than early as my high school self had wanted), but I will be graduating with a strong background in the sciences, well-prepared for grad school.

 By this time next year I will know if I am going to vet school directly out of undergrad or not! My back up plan? Probably becoming a research tech somewhere to get experience with that.

I still haven't heard from either of my Summer internships, though I emailed the FDA one last night since their 45 day prediction is about up. I have a sinking feeling that I will indeed be working on the farm this Summer, and that my chance to get into some sort of research is gone. BUT my advisor did tell me I was welcome to come piddle around in his lab this Summer and get a little unpaid experience if I wanted (since the time for grants has come and gone), and this I will do since even a little research experience is better than none!

We are skyping with a distinguished alumni this evening, and I'm sure hoping that club members will show up. The last speaker to come only had three other officers and one general club member show up (which was kind of embarrassing!). She was a local vet, and extended her offer to those at the meeting to come shadow and even possibly work for her, so that was a great opportunity that many people missed out on. This speaker is a faculty member at a vet school, and has authored hundreds of articles, as well as two novels! I'm pretty excited to meet him.

Anywho, back to homework!

~Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment