Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Teaching an Old Dog New Tricks

What a busy last couple of days. Brief rundown:

Friday- class, cousin's wedding (woohoo!)

Saturday- emergency call at horse rescue, helped rescue horses. Party for a cousin turning 50.

Sunday- Homework, homework, homework, dinner out with both Jared and my families for his 21st birthday, farm sitting

Monday (I had off school)- farm sitting, went to school with Jared and did more homework, then went shopping for household necessities and groceries, dinner with my brother, farm sitting, rest of the evening in front of the wood stove enjoying Bones on Netflix with Jer

Tuesday (I had off school)- Farm sitting, Shadowing for surgeries in the morning (spay, neuter), got to see two ultrasounds and an echocardiogram, a couple clients (including a dove and a woman that didn't know what Amazon was), then went thrift store shopping with a friend in Hanover and got myself a second pair of scrubs (yay!)

Today- woke up with a migraine at six am, got up, put on sunglasses, went to farm sit, Basset hound had diarrhea-d all over the house, cleaned up. Running super late, fed horses, ran home, showered, dressed, fed my animals, ran out the door. Fell asleep in organic chemistry (first time I have ever fallen asleep in class- I blame the excedrine), then in physics my phone starts going off. I finally left class and answered after the third call- Remi somehow ignored her shocker collar or turned it off and was running down the road- a neighbor found her, called in the dog registration tag info and gave me a call. Nicest woman ever- she put her in her backyard until she talked to me and then when we discussed options of what to do, walked her over to the house and put her on the back porch for me.

It was entirely out of character for Remi- the dog never leaves the house, even if she doesn't have her collar on. She normally just waits for me to come home and greets me enthusiastically in front of the garage. Went through my last class, drove home to get Remi. Decided that she would finally become an inside dog since I can't worry about her running away and getting hit... so I have been working with her all day. So far, no accidents. We never made it past the potty training stage when she was a puppy, plus my mom didn't like dogs in the house since they brought in dirt and hair, and Remi was an especially bad chewer. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this works- I think it would be good for her, though it might take my cats forever to get used to it. I'm praying that I have the patience for this.

Anyway, that's the run down for now- more later.

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment