Thursday, June 20, 2013

Bad Blogger!

Ah, I have become a terrible blogger. Even during the semester I was able to get one or two in a week, yet now I am having a rough time. This morning I finished up my veterinary school application and my personal statement. I haven't hit the submit button yet, but I am almost ready to. Does anyone have any questions about applying to vet school or the application? I know I have around 10 followers; not sure how many are planning to apply or not.

I normally shadow on Thursdays, but the vet I ride along with is attending a funeral today. This gives me some extra time to get things done around the house and in the garden, and actually sit down and write on my blog! Really things haven't been too interesting. At the farm I helped with another batch of piglets, and dewormed another pile of lambs. My animal handling skills are definitely benefiting from my time at the farm. The farm calls the last couple of weeks have been pretty routine; vaccines and floats and hoof abscesses.

There was one case that was pretty fascinating a couple weeks ago; we did a 24-hour check up on a foal and it was very sick. The ears and whites of the eyes were completely red, and it's gums were splotchy in color. The placenta had some hemorrhaging and the uterus was probably mildly infected during pregnancy. The foal also had front knees that were backwards, and had to be splinted. Though we looked for other genetic deformities (normally they come in pairs), we couldn't find anything obvious. After a strong round of antibiotics, the foal has now recovered, has straightened legs and is quite a handful to hold on to for it's blood draws! It was good to see such a quick recovery, and to know that without our intervention the baby would not have made it very much longer. 

~Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment