Tuesday, March 5, 2013

APVMA

Ah what a wonderful time we had this weekend in Florida. Going to the APVMA Symposium was definitely an amazing experience! Not only did I get a tour of my first vet school, but I also attended lectures on large animal anasthesia, acupuncture and rehabilitation, getting into vet school, VMCAS and theriogenelogy, and had a hands on lab where I got to examine the deceased victims of animal cruelty (though really there were euthanized shelter animals that they doctored up to look like they had been cruelty cases). I feel so much more prepared to apply to vet school, and I also feel way more knowledgeable about some of the foreign schools and opportunities (like glasgow and dublin). Not that I'm planning on going abroad, but it is good to know for other students! The food was wonderful, the hotel was fantastic, and we really had a nice time. The girls from G-burg did me proud, always being respectful and attentive to the speakers.

The most disappointing bit was that we didn't have any time to really meet other pre-vet students. They cancelled the only social event, and it was kinda disappointing. Some of the other schools as well were very disrespectful- talking and laughing through presentations and even elections for the 2013-2014 officers of the APVMA. I really had expected more from those around me, especially since it was a professional conference. There were also way too many people who showed up in jeans to the formal and semi-formal dinners. For us it was a really big deal to be going, but I guess to other schools who attend every year it is not as important.

Hoping to go next year again, as it will be held at Iowa!


No comments:

Post a Comment