Thursday, January 17, 2013

Last Day at the Small Animal Hospital!

Well today was a long day, and also a sad one, because it was my last day shadowing for awhile at the small animal hospital. I did a full day today, from 8-7:30, and it was a really good day. Not only did I get to see quite a few interesting things, but there were also no euthanasias! Apparently the week I was gone, Dr. J. put down at least 3 animals a day. Today was pretty calm, and I got to see a neuter, an ultrasound on a cat with bowel tumors, and an x-ray on an elderly, un-neutered dog who had an enlarged testicle, prostrate and bladder, on top of a thousand skin conditions which had been being treated previously. There were two puppies, a lab and a shih-zu. A pekinese came in with a huge anal gland that was about to burst. Dr. J. tried to express it, but decided to let it rupture on it's own since it was ready and willing. I stained some slides, and made a basset hound bleed everywhere (because she was super aggressive and, I admit it, I suck at nail trims).

The end of the day was the saddest; saying goodbye to everyone. I won't be able to shadow next semester because I really just don't have time. On top of physics, orgo, cell biology and a 300-level English class, I wouldn't be able to shadow more than once a week (probably on Saturdays), and since they only take one intern at a time, I don't want to take someone else's spot. But they invited me back whenever I wanted to, and I will probably go back next Fall if I can.

 Dr. J. told me she would be very happy to write me a letter of recommendation for vet school, and also invited me to come help sheer her sheep in March! The techs were the hardest to say goodbye to- they have taught me so much, had so much patience with me, and really just showed me what they loved about vet med and the practice. They were an invaluable resource for me and I will miss all of them and their varied personalities. Dr. J. and all the techs assured me when I left today that I had made an impression on them, and that they believed I would make a wonderful vet and would have no problems at all getting in to school. I can't tell you how heartening it was to hear.

Last night I did call the emergency hospital about shadowing occasionally on night shift during the semester. They were really positive about it and had me send them an email with my information. I am still waiting to hear back, but am hopeful that that will work out. If I am able to do that I will have seen equine, cattle, small animal, exotics and some emergency work! I am so grateful to have seen so many different sides of vet med already and I am really looking forward to the future... This is the year, after all, that I will be applying, and I am quite terrified that I won't get in the first shot (though it won't stop me!). I am doing my best to make myself a strong applicant and to get all the experience in that I can.

Tomorrow is my last day out with the cattle vet!

~Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment