Saturday, January 26, 2013

9 am on a Saturday

An update on my first week:

I am taking cell biology, organic chemistry, physics and contemporary American poetry. This semester all my pre-reqs for vet school except for biochem will be fulfilled! I am very excited about cell, as it is incredibly fascinating. It is, however, terrifying when the professor puts in his syllabus that the class average since the 1980's has remained roughly same... being a 2.4. At least a few students in the class are taking it for a second time, since they did not pass with above a C- the first time. I am determined to make above that!

I also love poetry, and this is my last class in my English minor. I have had the professor before, so I know the workload and the expectations, which is helpful. My class schedule isn't too bad- I have classes/lab from 8-5 on Mondays and Wednesdays, lab on Tuesdays from 1-4, lab every other Thursday from 1-4, and class from 8-3 on Fridays.

Today I start my new job cleaning a house in the next town up, and I also start a new internship at an Emergency hospital! I will be going there once a week for the evening shift to learn about emergency procedures and diagnostics. Since I don't have a rabies shot, I can't actually handle any of the patients, but I can still assist and observe in some capacity. I am hoping it is a great experience!

The pre-vet club schedule for the semester is almost complete, and I am quite pleased with how things worked out. We typically spend the Spring semester sending students out to a Standardbred breeding farm to get experience. Since they were shorthanded, we were unable to do this this year. Luckily, I was able to find an alternative that I think will be just as cool. Remember how the cattle vet I rode along with owned a dairy goat farm?  Well his wife and son (who run it), as well as the vet, have agreed to let students come out every Sunday to learn how to handle goats, learn about the dairy, see ultrasounds, vaccines, and kidding. It should be a really neat experience, enhanced by the fact that they will be getting vet experience with Dr. C, and seeing a side of small ruminant medicine many of them would probably not have the chance to (quite a few are city kids). They have also put me on-call so that if there are any surgeries or unusual things going on, I can send out a notice to the students to see if anyone is available to head out there (it's only 20 minutes away from the school).

We are also heading to a neurologist's hospital for a tour, going to various breed and species shows in the area, having an exotics vet in, a relief vet in, talking to a current vet student at Mississippi (a sibling to a club member), and going to the VMRCVM open house. We are still trying to work out our fundraiser (we wanted to do a community dog wash), since we haven't been getting a response from anyone in any of the departments as to the feasibility of it.

All in all, I'm pretty excited.

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment