Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Hit By Cars, Goats and Squirrels

My day started off with finding a drowned squirrel in my water tub. This was a new one for me. How a squirrel got in my water tub in the first place, and how it drowned in two inches of water makes no sense to me. My best guess is that it somehow got electrocuted by the nearby powerlines and fell in. I was already running late, and I then had to scrub out the water tub and give them enough water for the day. I got to school right as the bell tower rang 10 o'clock. Somehow the forces were with me and I avoided seeing any police officers on my way... I definitely pushed it. I had a presentation that was worth 20% of my grade, so I wanted to make sure it was decent and I was there to give it!

I got a whole bunch of progress reports and such back in the last couple of days. I calculated it out and to get an A- in physics I have to get about a 73, to get an A and 84 on the final. So that is not too bad at all. In orgo I have similar numbers, though I believe it may be an 84 to get an A-. They curve introductory physics here, which is very strange to me. It is the only class I have ever seen at G-burg that does that. I still have no idea what I have in my English class (though I should have a better idea on Thursday when I am getting all of my papers and work back from the entire semester). ES I am pretty much guaranteed an A. So it looks like I might have my first shot at an all-A semester (I'm being hopeful about English) since last fall, which would be awesome! My gpa would really love that.

Today I went in and shadowed for 7.5 hours, and had a really good time, as usual. I saw a ton of really interesting things today, from hygromas (cysts on the ends of the elbows) to mass cell tumors, to two hit by cars, to dog toe splints and rabbit urethra issues. And the goat again.
 It was really fascinating and I love how comfortable all the docs and techs are getting with me. They have started to accept me almost as one of their own, and I love being utilized and being taught. I now get to hold and walk animals, restrain, help with the initial exams (temps, weights, etc.), trim toenails on cats and dogs, clean kennels, check out incisions and post ops, help scrub things, assist in some small ways with minor surgeries, see all the x-rays, etc. The doctors have even started saving x-rays from earlier in the day to show to me if they think it is interesting. I have been there long enough to have seen many of the clients more than once and to have them recognize and interact with me, and I really love that as well. Since Dr. G. also has an equine practice, he loves to tell me about his equine cases, since he knows I have experience with that and am really interested in it.

Anyway, the highlight from the day was definitely the two hit by cars. The cases were bizarre and came in within  5 minutes of each other. Both were new clients. The one was a English chocolate lab who had been being humped by his brother in the driveway, and the daughter had been backing up and he couldn't get out of the way quick enough due to the... humpage. The other was a small schnauzer mix that was in heat and being chased by a chocolate lab and ran under the tires. Both were hit by their owners... and both were run over in the abdomen. And both did not break a single thing. They had bruising and road burn, and neither of their bladders showed up on x-ray (which could possibly mean they had burst, or that they were just empty), and both of them walked out the door for further monitoring by the family.

 I really enjoy the emergency stuff for some reason, and I definitely want to make sure I call in to the emergency hospital I had got permission to volunteer at and do that over break. I wish I had more time to shadow all the places I want to shadow! Sometimes I wish I had realized that I wanted to be a vet (seriously) before my freshman year of college.

~Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment