Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Day 1: Middle of Summer Blues

So today I randomly decided to start a blog. Not sure if anyone will ever read it or find it, but I know that it will help me to remember and reflect each day as I go through my various internships and perhaps even my life (depending on how long I keep this up!).

A little about me. Right now I am going to be a Junior in college at a small private school in PA that I adore. I am current President of the pre-vet club there, which sometimes is no easy duty! My life goal is to become a veterinarian, knowing full well what I am getting myself into. I am recently engaged to my high school sweetheart, an engagement which will last at least until I get accepted into vet school (hopefully), if not until after vet school. I live on my own in a house in the country with my three cats, Taz, Simian and Jazmine, my English Lab, Remington (Remi for short), my six chickens, Homer, Star, Scarlet, Henrietta, Road Runner and Blondie, and my Appaloosa horse, Sweetheart. 

Sweetheart (I didn't name her- otherwise she would have been named Pighead!)

And Remi (yes it is a she, if you can tell by the pink collar!)
What am I doing with my Summer you might ask? So far I have been mostly going out with one of my neighbors down the road, he is an equine veterinarian, and I spent all last Summer with him on ride-alongs (as I call them). I was able to rack up just under 300 hours last Summer, and found out once and for all that the job of a veterinarian is something that I LOVE. This Summer I am riding along again, though not as frequently (only two or three days a week instead of five). The reason for this is that last year I did not live entirely on my own, and so I had help to do things around the house, etc. I also wanted to spend more time painting (a hobby that I enjoy but am by no means going to support myself by!) and riding.

 I also have a two-week internship coming up down in North Carolina at the North Carolina Tiger Rescue. I am very excited for that unique opportunity, though a little nervous as well! It will be the longest time I have spent away from home in years, and I will be living with three guys, one of whom is an alum of my college. They are gracious enough to lend me their couch so I don't have to pay for a room.

Anyway, I am going out again today with the vet, starting at noon, and I will post this evening when I get back!

 Till then,
~Rich With Life~

No comments:

Post a Comment