Thursday, May 9, 2013

The Waiting Game

Sorry for my silence lately. This semester has been a very tough one for me, and I am in the midst of finals week. Coming up to it were the usual piles of papers, last minute quizzes and homework that professors tend to shove in, as well as reviews and study sessions. I am 3/4 of the way done, having taken my poetry exam on Sunday, physics on Monday and cell biology on Tuesday. Tomorrow evening is organic chemistry. I have felt surprisingly good about most of my finals- yes, there were one or two questions on each that tripped me up, but overall I actually felt very confident and prepared about them. I am hoping organic will be the same (it is one of the easiest classes for me), but I am having a hard time studying for it.

Last Wednesday my goslings hatched, and yesterday and today my chicks have been hatching. Currently I have two chicks out and three breaking out, with two eggs showing no signs of occupancy. I did "candle" them and it looks like one of the eggs' membrane is drawing backwards as if the chick has died. The other one looks normal and was put in the incubator a day later than the others, so it is very possible that it will just be late.

I will post plenty of pictures once I get a chance this weekend.

I did just find out that I got an A+ in my poetry class as my final grade. With 100% on the midterm and A's on all of my papers and journals, it was something I was hoping for but not completely expecting! That will definitely help balance out my GPA with the relatively lower grades that I am expecting in physics and cell biology. If only my English classes counted towards my science GPA for vet school! I am keeping my fingers crosses that I pull out of cell biology with above a C. I have never even received anything less than a B+ in college, but I will actually cry with joy if I get a B- in cell. Even a C+ I would take. Anything above a B- is essentially unattainable for me, even if I got 100% on the final (which didn't happen). This, I suppose, it what someone once referred to as my "welcome to the real world."

I will know in less than a week. Professors are supposed to have their grades up by Monday I believe.

I hope I haven't lost any readers due to my silence (though I'm not actually sure that more than two people read this), and I promise that this Summer, filled with animal-related work on a farm and my usual shadowing, will be a much more exciting blog! Oh, and I'm applying to vet school this Summer. That might be interesting to everyone too! I would be happy to answer any questions about the process if any pre-vet students read the blog.

~Melissa

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I'm so jealous that you find Organic Chemistry 'easy'! That's one of the worst class series I've ever taken, haha! But good for you. Don't feel bad about cell bio though, if you've never gotten below a B+, I'm sure it won't hurt your GPA badly!

    ReplyDelete