Sunday, August 26, 2012

Test Anxiety

One day before school starts, and I wake up with a cold. I think this happens to me almost every year! I felt it coming on yesterday and took echinacea all day, but it didn't help near enough. Now I'm stuffy and sniffling, and will most likely be bereft of the company of Jared for the next couple of weeks until I get over it- I don't want to get him sick, and he doesn't want to get sick, and so will most likely go live full time with my brother until I get over it.

Speaking of school- it starts tomorrow! This Summer flew by so fast, and I had such an amazing time with everything I was able to do- riding along with the vet, vacations, getting engaged, working with my horse, and the work down at the tiger rescue. Tomorrow I begin a year long sequences of organic chem and physics, and my semester classes of the Chesapeake Bay Ecosystem (I couldn't get into Nutrition) and Rebel Women (the second to last class I will be taking for my English minor). It will certainly be interesting! My classes are chock full of people I know this year (minus my best friend Jenn who is studying abroad in Australia!) and I am anticipating a fun but hard semester. In the Spring I will be taking Cell Biology, one of the core classes I need for my major and for vet school, and reputed to be a gpa killer. I am terrified! But glad I still have a semester to go before I have to put myself through that.

I need to ace orgo and physics both to keep my science gpa up for vet school. Because I was advised wrong my first year, I am a year behind other students my age in chemistry, and with orgo being pretty much the hardest class you can take at Gettysburg College, I am quite worried that it will be my make it or break it course. Right now I have an overall gpa of 3.8, with my science gpa being more like 3.6. This is not exactly an ideal science gpa for vet school, and if it gets much lower I will be losing my chances of getting in. For those of you who scoff at this, a lot of vet schools look through the traditional applicants, pick out the top 100 gpas, read only their personal statements, and ignore the rest entirely.

Anyway, we are moving the horses back to my mom's farm today so that I don't have to worry about taking care of them for the first few weeks of school. This way when I get back from marching band practice at 10pm on Mondays I don't have to run down to the barn. It also saves me from having to get up as early, and my mother likes having them at her farm as well- it gives her a reason to get out of the house!

I'm going to go start loading the truck up- I'll try to post tomorrow and let you know how my first day back went!

~Melissa

3 comments:

  1. So you have four classes this semester? I thought I was going to go crazy with three! Will you finish in the spring of 2013, or do you have another year to go?

    I, too, am worrying about my science GPA, and I don't even have a science GPA yet! I've read a lot of posts on the Student Doctor Network pre-vet forum, and there are individuals who have been accepted to vet school with less than a 3.6 GPA. The schools will also look at your vet/animal experience, as well as your personal statement and answers to other questions on the application, so don't fret just yet. One step at a time! Where are you applying? I mentioned on my blog in my response to you the schools I am thinking about, but I'll list them here as well. I am planning at this time to apply to Arizona (new program), Colorado (very slim chance, probably), Washington, and Oregon, and maybe UC Davis.

    Hope your first day went well.

    JoAnne
    www.vettedlife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! Four this semester, including two labs. Next semester I have four classes and three labs (that will be the worst). I will be finished with all of my official pre-reqs except for biochem by the end of this year (yay!).

      I graduate in 2014- I had thought about graduating a year early,but I decided not to as I will now have the opportunity to take other classes that may help me in vet school, and if I don't get in the first go around, they will also add into my science gpa and maybe make a difference. So Anatomy and Physiology, Comparative Animal Physiology, Biochem 1 and possibly 2, Nutrition (Human, not animal, but still useful), Immunology, that sort of thing.

      I am also planning on applying to Colorado ( I grew up there), Maryland-Virginia (my home school), Tufts, Missouri (one of the highest out of state acceptors), and maybe Wisconsin and Tuskegee. Not 100% sure yet!

      Melissa

      Delete
  2. Good luck with Orgo and Physics in the same year! That sounds killer!

    Your GPA is fine, I think, especially since you are involved in so many things. Vet schools seem to want to see actively-involved students will good GPAs rather than hermit students with stellar GPAs. I know you will do great in all your classes because you seem like a really dedicated, gifted person. Don't stress! You got this!

    ReplyDelete