Monday, August 20, 2012

GO-RIL-LA

"You look like you are getting mauled by a bear" is not exactly the way you want to be described when attempting to gracefully dance with a flag. In high school, I did indoor color guard for three years, and while my good friend Teresa tried to teach me some dance, I was never very successful at learning it. Besides that, my only experience with dance happens to be the classes I took when I was five. Needless to say, that was a long time ago. So when our color guard instructor and fearless leader announced that we were going to be doing dance this year, I groaned inwardly.

Generally my idea of dancing nowadays is earplugs in, empty house, and the vacuum as my accompaniment. I have certainly never been considered "graceful"- I am more like to be compared to a yearling filly than a swan. I don't know how many of you have seen a yearling filly, but they are all long neck and body, narrow chest, unruly legs and have no idea where their body parts are. That about describes me. I try really, really hard to sote and sashe, soften my arms, hold "walnut-hands," etc., but as soon as I concentrate on one bit the rest of it goes haywire. We were lucky enough to get some really good dancers in our group of 8 girls this year, but this means that those of us who cannot dance for the life of us look really, really ungraceful next to them.

Amanda, our amazing senior/undergrad staff, tried to help me and the other girls out today by having us do all sorts of free-style dance moves around the room, focusing on different parts of our bodies, and trying to get us to learn from watching each other. I can't say that it was a huge success, but I at least FELT a little more graceful afterwards.

Anyway, band camp is going well, though I sorely miss my home by now, and being able to see my animals and my Jared. Wednesday Doc is coming over to give the horses their last three vaccinations for this round, and then Jared and I are heading up to my uncle's house to see my father- he lives in CO but is flying out for basically one day for his brother's birthday. I'm pretty excited to see him. I might ride along with Doc on Thursday or Friday if I have time/he has appointments. I miss vet work already!!

~Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment